Signs That You Need a Dental Implant Restoration
How your dentist in Lynchburg, VA, can help with a dental implant problem
If you have dental implants, chances are you are enjoying the beauty, easy maintenance, and permanence dental implants can offer.
Although rare, dental implant problems can happen, and it’s important for you to know what to do if you have a problem with your dental implants. Dr. Kevin S. Midkiff in Lynchburg, VA, can help you get the most out of your dental implants.
These are just a few of the reasons and causes you might have a dental implant problem:
- Grinding or clenching your teeth frequently
- Not wearing a nightguard when you sleep or a mouthguard when you play sports
- Having a dental screw that is the wrong size, either too narrow or too short
- If your immune system is compromised or you are diabetic
Dental implants may also experience failure if your bone has not fused properly with the implant. This lack of fusion may be due to an infection, radiation therapy to your jaws, or medical issues.
So, how do you know if you need a dental implant restoration? If you experience any of these signs and symptoms of dental implant failure, visit your dentist as soon as possible:
- Discomfort or pain from around the implant
- A bad smell or taste around the implant area
- Redness and swelling around the implant
- Bleeding or drainage coming from around the implant
- Instability or movement from any part of the implant
Visiting Dr. Midkiff as soon as possible is important to the future of your dental implant. He can help with a number of solutions including:
- Substituting a wider dental implant screw to increase support
- Anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling and pain
- Antibiotic medication to eliminate infection in the implant area
- A custom-fit nightguard or mouthguard to protect your implant
Dental implants are the most successful surgical implant, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still have problems. Don’t worry, your dentist can help you enjoy your dental implants and have a healthy smile. For more information about dental implant care, and other dental topics, call Dr. Kevin Midkiff in Lynchburg, VA, today!